Sunday, April 18, 2010

New Beginnings

This has been a week of new beginnings. New beginnings which have kept me away from my computer and this blog. However, I am happy to say that I am back and I am able to once again share with you. The only problem, is that apparently, you cannot 'upload' your MSWord Documents into the blog, which is frustrating because I have quite a few recipes already typed into Word that I would like to quickly 'cut n paste' rather than re write. But, since I am here to write recipes, I will rewrite them. No big deal, just an extra step that I would've thought the blog business would've had figured out by now...
This recipe was a success with my husband and my family. It's adapted from my favorite vegan cookbook.

Apple-Walnut Bread Pudding
Filling:
1 cup flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp each ground cloves, ground nutmeg
1/2 cup milk (dairy, rice, or soy)
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 medium fuji or red delicious apples, cubed
1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
Topping:
2/3 cup purified water
1/4 brown sugar
1/4 white sugar
4 tbsp pure maple syrup
4 tbsp butter or vegan margarine

Preheat Oven to 375
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Stir in milk, vanilla, walnuts and apples until well mixed. Spread into a medium baking dish. Set aside. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring water, butter, sugar and maple syrup to a boil. Reduce heat once butter has melted. Pour over the batter in the baking dish. DO NOT STIR! Bake for 45-50 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to set for 5-7 minutes.
Tastes great with Vanilla Ice Cream! Makes approx 6 servings.

I don't guarantee that this is suuper healthy, but it is pretty tasty. Until next time, happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment