Sunday, April 11, 2010

More Difficult Than I Expected

Yes, so this blogging process is more complicated than I thought. Or, my computing skills are more lacking than I thought. It just took me 10 minutes to figure out how to log-in. I forgot my password and they e-mailed me 3 emails to confirm who I was and so on and so forth. Well, anyhoo, you're not here to read about my log-in trials and tribulations, you're here to hear (or read) about food. And that's what I'm here to write about.
I had a request from a 'follower' to include a recipe that I made one evening. It is a recipe I adapted from a great Vegan Cookbook which I am hopelessly addicted to. I kind of feel like that Juile woman who worked her way through Julia Child's book...only this Vegan Cookbook is much shorter and in many ways, much easier. I will post the recipe with my adaptations so that you too may enjoy it at home. I have to admit, it's pretty tasty!

Indian-inspired Tofu and Peppers

1lb extra firm tofu, cubed
1 med. onion, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
2 med. red, yellow or green bell pepper, chopped (two different colors looks nice!)
1 large tomato, chopped
salt to taste
2 tsp hot chili powder
2 tsp. garam masala spice

In a medium skillet or wok, saute oil, onion and tofu until tofu is slightly browned. Add the peppers, spices and tomatoes. Keep moving the ingredients to keep from sticking. Reduce heat and cook for 6-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Serve over brown rice or with oven-roasted potatoes. Makes 4 servings.

I think this recipe would also be really tasty with broccoli mixed in...haven't tried it, but I think it would be yum!
So, quick success story...I made some nearly-vegan cookies to send to my husband's family in LosAngeles and got good reviews! They were surprised at how moist they were. I think it's because of the egg substitutes I used. It's amazing how well they lend themselves to baking. So many people think that traditional ingredients are best and maybe for some things, they are, but it really is so much more fun just to experiment and see what happend! Well, take care and until next time, good eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment